Monday, 16 September 2013

Concept Art - Midnight Delivery

Another new piece of concept art emerges! I know, it's another dark, gloomy alley way, but this one serves a different purpose. Contrast and tonal range are really important aspects of any painting, but they are especially important when creating work that has depth and atmosphere.


This is primarily the reason for this black and white piece, experimenting with atmosphere in dark lighting such as this, whilst still trying to convey form and detail. I've currently got a few other pieces in the works, plus some small studies which I'll be posting soon. 

At the risk of sounding like a tit, I'd like to share some of the influences. Partly inspired by Dickens and the horrors of Victorian England, but also by the superb book, Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. A cracking factual narrative about the Chicago World's Fair and the darkness therein.

In the coming weeks I'll be posting some tutorial related things, so keep an eye out for some free resources coming soon.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Many thanks Phil. I'll be around on Friday so will take a look at the computer room then if that sounds ok.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is close to a design I'm looking for a book cover.
    The book is set in 1872!

    ReplyDelete